Friday, June 2, 2017

Mia - The Escape Artist

Well, over the past several months, Mia has been able to escape from her harness twice.  Once, she almost got hit by a car when she ran out into the road.  The second time I was able to kind of throw myself on top of her to restrain her.  So I have been very very careful with her outside because the sight (or smell) of a rabbit throws her into a frenzy.  And I don't have a yard, so she has to be on leash.

Here lately, now that summer is pretty much here, the sprinkler systems go on twice a day and she is absolutely fascinated with the sprinklers.  I think they even trump rabbits for her.  She wants to attack the water.  So in order to keep myself from being drenched I have been trying to figure out the timing of the sprinklers and take her out when I'm pretty sure they won't be coming on.

But tonight I didn't time it right.  I was trying to make sure she did her business so I lingered a bit too long.  The sprinkler nearest to us came on and she turned into a little tornado.  I have a leash now that is supposed to be escape proof but she was able to go into a frenzy of back-and-forths and cartwheels and she got away again.  Fortunately she was only interested in the sprinkler and not in running out into traffic.  I had no choice but to jump into the sprinkler to try to grab her and she kept avoiding me (I'll bet we put on a good show for the neighbors).  When I was able to pick her up she fought me and we both fell back onto my concete steps.  I got a big gash in my arm but I was able to get her into the house and we both were dripping wet.  I am so mad at her, and she knows it.  I try to remember that she spent the majority of her life in a crate and she is fascinated by being able to explore things, but I worry about her safety.

I've been taking her to obedience training twice a week and she is making great progress.  But that is indoors.  Outdoors is another story so the trainer is going to start coming to the house to see if she can accomplish more "on location."

No comments:

Post a Comment