Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Cardiology visit

This morning was my quarterly visit with the cardiologist as well as my pacemaker "interrogation."  The pacemaker checked out perfectly and I haven't had any A-fib episodes.  There are still 5-1/2 years left on the battery.

I asked the Medtronics guy about the hacker possibility and he said that right now the hackers are only able to mess with the wireless pacemakers and the Medtronics pacemakers (like I've got) have wires and can only be reprogrammed with a special apparatus that sits on my chest.  So that was pleasant news.  He said that the other pacemaker manufacturers are quickly making the appropriate changes to keep their pacemakers hacker-proof.

The cardiologist said that I am now truly released for any and all exercise now.  So I will pass that on to my personal trainer when I have my first actual session tomorrow. I met with him on Monday to talk about my health and my goals and he showed me the equipment.  He also wants me to take the yoga class that is offered at the Rec Center, as well as the Silver Sneakers class.  But he wants me to start slow so that he can monitor any pain or any bad form.

My blood pressure was high today and the cardiologist wants me to start taking it every day and keeping a chart.

He also showed me the printout of my Pacemaker "interrogation" and pointed out what changes we can hope to see as I get involved in the sessions with the personal trainer.  If I understood correctly -- and I'm never totally sure I understand this pacemaker stuff -- the more I work out the more my heart takes over and the pacemaker rests.  I hope I understood that correctly because that is very motivating.

Mia's trainer comes to the house today.  I may have to cut back on that, though, because it's $60 an hour and it is getting way too expensive, especially when I am also paying for my own trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment