Sunday, October 29, 2017

Match.com

First of all, I think my brother and his wife spent this weekend talking -- and he goes back to work tomorrow -- and he has been sober for about 10 days now, so things are really looking up there.  We are all so glad.

Mia is still really clinging to me (except, of course, whenever a rabbit gets involved and in that case she could care less about me).  I wish I knew what was going on with her.

Now, here's my Match.com story.  I've been toying with the idea of joining Match for a few months now.  I talk to so many people who say they met someone using Match.  But I didn't bother looking up actual reviews.  So on Friday I bit the bullet and joined for 3 months ($83).

I got one email and it didn't interest me so I thought I should be polite and let him know.  So I replied and said "no, thanks."  He replied and said he never sent me an email.  So he did some checking and evidently -- according to him -- Match steals sign-in names and emails and sends them out randomly to generate activity.  Sheesh!  I'm glad I'm using Marshall's old email address to do this.

So this morning I canceled my subscription, which basically means (I hope) they deactivate my membership and make me "invisible" (I hope).  They won't refund any money and they stress that I will still be a member until January 28, 2018 so I can reactivate any time between now and then.  I will have to watch my credit card carefully in January. So basically I have spent about $40 a day to experiment with Match!

And this morning I also decided to check reviews.  I found one site that covered reviews for Match and there were 2550 reviews and every one of them talked about emails and passwords being stolen and used to generate false activity.  And their refusal to refund any money.  But to be very fair, as I was signing up I read every single paragraph of the "Terms and Conditions" and they do make it very clear that they do not refund money and that in order to cancel the subscription a person needs to follow certain steps, which I did.  So the people who are complaining most likely didn't read all that fine print.

I probably wouldn't have canceled so quickly except for the fact that my very first encounter was bogus!

I just checked the Better Business Bureau site and Match is NOT accredited by the BBB.  The BBB website has a little blurb on the information about Match saying that Match has been very cooperative with the BBB to try to straighten these issues out -- the latest post was in August 2017.  The BBB says they will monitor Match carefully to see how they do in the coming months.  That made me feel a teeny-tiny bit less taken advantage of (smile).

I'm posting this information just so anyone reading this will see my experience with Match.  I think I'll just let the Universe decide my fate....

No comments:

Post a Comment