Sunday, February 26, 2017

Harley

Pikes Peak Harley called me yesterday to give me an update on the bike.  The riser has been installed, so I have high hopes for that extra inch and a half making the bike handle low areas.

They also said that the rear brakes don't work at all (wow...) so they will check all the brakes and fix them where necessary.

The oil was kind of like sludge after sitting for two years so they will drain the oil and put new oil in and new filters.  They will do all the other regular servicing stuff, too.  So as of today the total cost is $900 and that could still go up. (Yikes) I guess when you factor in the fact that no servicing has been done for two years this isn't too bad.  But I want to feel comfortable and safe riding this thing.

One of Marshall's last requests while he could still talk was that I take good care of the bike and that I ride it and continue to spread prostate cancer awareness.  He had made up some pamphlets that he used to keep on his bike and pass out concerning how men should take care of themselves and get tested for prostate cancer and he wanted me to continue that practice.  I told him I would try, so I sure do hope I can.

He also wanted me to continue to enter the bike in shows.  So far he has won every show the bike was in.  But I couldn't make that promise.  Entering in shows requires a lot of prep that I'm not comfortable with (draining the oil, draining the gas tank, putting the bike on a trailer and then manually pushing it off the trailer and then back on again).  I will not be able to handle that.  But if there are shows that are all outdoor and the bike can simply be ridden in, I will try to do that.

Another thing he really BADLY wanted to do himself but his health never cooperated was to ride with the Patriot Guard accompanying the body of a deceased veteran to his/her final resting place.  If the opportunity presents itself, I will try to make that happen with me riding the bike.  First I need to get comfortable riding a trike.  Baby steps.....

No comments:

Post a Comment