Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Massage

Ever since my two falls down the stairs I've had aches and pains that just won't quit and several days ago sciatica set in, as well as a minor headache that just wouldn't quit, so something had to be done.  If you've ever had sciatica you know what I'm talking about.

Every time I go down 120th Street I see a place called Massage Envy, so I checked with my cardiologist to see if it was okay to get a massage when you have a pacemaker.  I also called my sister-in-law, Liz, who -- among many other medical-related things -- is a licensed massage therapist.  They both said it was okay to get a massage as long as it is not a deep massage.

So today I went in and had a 30-minute chair massage (I decided to start out slow) and I left there without a headache and with less shoulder and arm aches.  Pretty good.  So I joined the massage club.  I will get one 60-minute massage each month at a reduced rate and if I get more than one massage a month, the rate is reduced further.

So I go back on January 24 for a full massage that will concentrate more on the sciatica.  I came home today energized and took down all of my Christmas lights on the outside, as well as the few things I had inside (the cats made it clear that I couldn't over-decorate the inside.)

I've also decided to let my hair go back to its original color, whatever that may be.  Right now it appears that it will be silver.  The last time I tried this, the color was an ugly gray and I hated it.  If this time it turns out to be silver, I will be happy.

My hair stylist sold me some purple shampoo that she says will tone down the silver hair and give it more of a platinum look.  I think I will like it.

Last night was a grief support meeting.  The group is getting larger and I'm making a few friends, which is a happy side effect of the meetings.  I think I'll keep going after all.  Tomorrow I'm having lunch with one of the ladies and this weekend I'm getting together with another one.  It's especially nice because if one of us spontaneously starts crying for no apparent reason, the other knows the story and understands.  I still can't believe that I am continuing to grieve this strongly after a year and a half.  I hope I get a life again before I'm too old and frail to enjoy any of it.

Six more days to Parkinson's verdict....

Monday is neurologist appointment, Tuesday is another ugly dental appointment, and then a few days later I turn 72.   Yay me! 😢


No comments:

Post a Comment