Saturday, February 3, 2018

Sleep Study was awful

First, my brother did not get his surgery.  I haven't heard any more so I don't know what his status is right now.

The sleep study was nothing like I expected.  I got there at 9:30 and got ready for bed.  The room was like a hotel room with its own private bath and a television.   The television was only to be used if the patient needed to ease into sleepiness.

The technician attached many electrodes to me.  There were 5 on my face, 1 on my neck, 1 under my arm, several on my chest, several on my legs and 4 or 5 on my scalp.  They also put one of those Pulse/Ox things on my finger.  Then he told me to sleep on my back, which is not the way I sleep.  But I said I would give it a try, so I laid back on the pillow and realized that my head  was laying back on the electrodes on my scalp and it hurt.  I told the technician but he said to try to stay on my beck but I could roll over on my side if I had to.  As it turned out, I really needed to roll over on my side but it proved to be a monumental task with all the electrodes

There were wires everywhere and I felt like I was tied down.  I could barely move, a very claustrophobic feeling.  I didn't get any sleep and he got me up at 6AM, took off all my electrodes and I went home.  I don't see how they could possibly come up with any diagnosis of sleep apnea with the kind of night I had, but the technician said all they needed was a little bit here and there.  I can't wait to hear how this turns out.

I came home and went straight to bed and slept for 5 hours.

Now Monday morning is the ultrasound of the gallbladder and we'll see what that turns up.


No comments:

Post a Comment